More than one-quarter of all local cases and 80 percent of local deaths are associated with a local long-term care facility.
By Matt Skoufalos | May 9, 2020
Another 195 Camden County residents have been sickened by novel coronavirus (COVID-19), the Camden County government reported Saturday, bringing the local caseload to 4,085 patients.
Throughout New Jersey, 137,085 people have been sickened by COVID-19 and 9,116 have perished from related causes.
Of 4,085 local COVID-19 cases, 1,071 have originated in a Camden County long-term care (LTC) facility, or 26 percent.
LTCs are believed to be associated with 175 of 218 total local deaths, or 80 percent. About half of the 56 LTCs in Camden County (27) have experienced at least one case of COVID-19.
On Friday, the county requested a New Jersey Department of Health monitor for five local LTCs: Genesis Voorhees Center and Lions Gate in Voorhees, Avista Healthcare and Premier Cadbury in Cherry Hill, and Collingswood United Methodist Home.
Collectively, those five sites are associated with 421 COVID-19 patients and 85 deaths.
“COVID-19 has an incredible ability to spread very quickly,” said Camden County Freeholder-Director Lou Cappelli in a statement.
“Even if we get our daily number of new patients into the single digits, the virus could quickly infect hundreds of others if we adopt a false sense of security and begin acting irresponsibly,” Cappelli said.
He urged residents to “adhere to the governor’s orders, stay at home as much as possible, and avoid contact with others.”
The newest local cases are:
- two Audubon women, one each in her 30s and 80s; and a teenaged boy
- two Bellmawr men, one each in his 60s and 70s; and a woman in her 60s
- three Berlin Township men, one each in his 30s, 50s, and 70s
- a Brooklawn man in his 20s
- 29 Camden City women, eight each in their 20s and 50s, four in their 60s, three in their 40s, two in their 30s, one each in her 70s and 80s, a teenage girl, and a girl under 10; and 24 men, five each in their 20s, 30s, and 40s, three in their 50s, two in their 70s, one in his 60s, and three teenage boys
- 19 Cherry Hill Township women, eight in their 70s, three in their 80s, three of unknown age, two in their 90s, one each in her 20s and 60s, and a teenaged girl; and nine men, three in their 70s, two in their 50s, one each in his 20s, 60s, and 80s, and a teenaged boy
- a Chesilhurst woman in her 30s
- a Clementon man in his 50s
- three Gloucester City women, one each in her 20s, 40s, and 50s
- eight Gloucester Township women, three in their 30s, two in their 20s, and one each in her 40s, 50s, and 80s; and a man in his 40s
- a Haddon Township woman in her 60s
- 10 Lindenwold women, five in their 50s, two in their 30s, and one each in her 40s, 60s, and 80s; and nine men, four in their 20s, three in their 40s, and one each in his 50s and 70s
- a Magnolia woman in her 80s
- a Merchantville woman in her 50s
- 14 Pennsauken Township women, four in their 50s, three each in their 20s and 40s, two in their 30s, and one each in her 60s and 90s; and 13 men, five in their 60s, two each in their 30s, 40s, and 50s, and one each in his 70s and 80s
- three Pine Hill women, two in their 60s and one in her 20s
- two Runnemede men, one each in his 40s and 50s; and a woman in her 50s
- two Somerdale women, one each in her 20s and 50s
- three Stratford women, one in her 30s and two teenage girls; and a man in his 40s
- six Voorhees Township women, two in their 90s, one each in her 50s, 70s, and 80s, and a girl; and four men, two in their 60s, and one each in his 40s and 50s
- 10 Winslow Township women, three in their 40s, two each in their 30s and 50s, one each in her 20s and 60s, and a girl; and seven men, three in their 50s, and one each in his 20s, 60s, 70s, and 90s
- two Woodlynne women, one each in her 40s and 70s
The Camden County and New Jersey Health Departments are working to facilitate trace investigations into all cases.
Please support NJ Pen with a subscription. Get e-mails, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, or try our Direct Dispatch text alerts.