Oaklyn Apartment Fire Likely Attributable to Unattended Cooking


No injuries were reported.

By Matt Skoufalos | June 19, 2024

Firefighters at the scene of an apartment fire at the Savoy Annex in Oaklyn. Credit: Matt Skoufalos.

Residents of an Oaklyn apartment complex reportedly started cooking dinner on the stovetop Wednesday evening, left the unit, and returned to a home full of smoke.

First responders from five communities descended on The Savoy Annex apartments in the 700 block of the White Horse Pike in Oaklyn around 8 p.m. to heavy smoke conditions.

Oaklyn Fire Chief Greg Grudzinski said that police arrived on the scene first and knocked the door down, but couldn’t make entry because of the overwhelming smoke.

Fire companies from Audubon, Collingswood, and Westmont were on hand to support Oaklyn, as were the Mount Ephraim Police Reserves Inc. (MEPRI) EMS.

Grudzinski said that once firefighters identified the source of the smoke, the fire was under control within minutes.


View this post on Instagram


A post shared by NJ_Pen (@nj_pen)

No injuries were reported, none of the neighboring units appeared to have been damaged by smoke, and the residents affected by the incident were not displaced as a result of it.

However, the Oaklyn Fire Chief did have a message for the community.

“If you’re cooking, stay at home,” Grudzinski said. “Don’t leave your cooking unattended.”


Please support NJ Pen with a subscription. Get e-mails, and follow us on FacebookTwitter, and Instagram.


Comments are closed.