A borough resident said he was working on his Ford pickup truck when it caught fire Wednesday. No one was injured, but a neighbor’s house suffered exterior damage.
By Matt Skoufalos
An Oaklyn man said he was trying to fix up his Ford F-250 when the truck caught fire in his driveway Wednesday, melting away his neighbor’s siding, blasting out the glass in the cab, and blowing out two tires in the resulting heat.
No one was harmed in the incident, which happened just before noon in the unit block of Manor Avenue.
Fire companies from Oaklyn and Audubon were called to the scene; Collingswood’s was dispatched shortly thereafter when the incident was upgraded to a building-involved vehicle fire.
Oaklyn Fire Department Public Information Officer Curt Hudson said the truck and neighboring home were well-involved upon firefighters’ arrival. Within five minutes, however, the flames had been extinguished.
In addition to the truck, the adjacent property was damaged by the intensity of the heat, which melted away a large patch of vinyl siding. Hudson said that a layer of asbestos siding beneath the siding may have kept the fire from consuming more of the house.
The vehicle owner declined treatment from EMT’s on the scene. Hudson said no firefighters were injured in the response.
Fire marshal Steve DiPierri said the fire is under investigation.
Get more local news that matters. Check out NJ Pen on Facebook and Twitter, or click here to become a supporter.