When will Santa make the rounds on your block? We’ve got details on the annual tradition from local fire companies.
By Matt Skoufalos | December 9, 2016
December can be a confusing time of the year to hear fire sirens.
In many neighborhoods, it’s not necessarily a cause for alarm, but the sound of good-willed volunteers bringing a bit of holiday cheer to local residents (and usually some sweets for the kids).
A charming tradition that has been historically upheld by local fire departments for years, the Santa fire truck visits run on a different schedule for neighbors in different towns.
If you want to know when the jolly old elves will be coming to your block, here’s the schedule for this year.
NOTE: All dates and times are approximate and weather-permitting.
Saturday, December 17
10 a.m. – 12 noon
On the Saturday before Christmas, the Audubon Fire Department splits up the town into four routes that are completed simultaneously. Children who greet Santa are likely to enjoy a candy cane from one of his helpful elves.
Sunday, December 11 through Sunday, December 18
Cherry Hill Fire Department offers an interactive map for residents to see when Santa will be arriving in their neighborhoods as well as a static Santa Neighborhood schedule to track his visits. Start times (below) vary.
- Dec. 11 – 9 a.m.
- Dec. 12 – 4 p.m.
- Dec. 13 – 4 p.m.
- Dec. 14 – 4 p.m.
- Dec. 15 – 4 p.m.
- Dec. 16 – 4 p.m.
- Dec. 17 – 10 a.m.
- Dec. 18 – 1 p.m.
Monday, December 19 through Friday, December 23
5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Collingswood Fire Department follows the borough leaf and brush collection schedule (reprinted below).
- Browning Road to Champion Avenue
- Collings Avenue to PATCO Hi-Speedline
- Newton Avenue to Crescent Blvd.
- Woodlynne Avenue
- 300 & 400 Block of Park Avenue
- Bellevue Terrace up to and including Garfield Avenue
- PATCO Hi-Speedline to Haddon Twp. border
- Penn Avenue up to and including Lincoln Avenue
- PATCO Hi-Speedline to South Park Drive
- Crestmont Terrace to Lincoln Avenue
- High Speed-Line to South Park Drive
- King Avenue to Lincoln Avenue
- South Atlantic Avenue to South Newton Lake Drive
- Lakeview Drive to Haddon Twp. border
- Bettlewood Avenue to Browning Road
- Collings Avenue to North Newton Lake Drive
Saturday, December 17
5 p.m. to 9 p.m.
For more information, contact Haddon Heights Fire Department.
Monday, December 5 through Friday, December 16
6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.; times vary
Westmont Fire Company No. 1 also invites Christmas tree shoppers to visit the station seven days a week until 9 p.m. to pick out a live tree. Proceeds support the department.
Monday, Dec. 5—Bettlewood
- Lees Lane to White Horse Pike
- Cuthbert Road to E. Haddon Ave.
Wednesday, Dec. 7—Bluebird & Collingswood Manor
- Cuthbert Road to Collingswood border
- Cooper River to Newton Lake
Thursday, Dec. 8—Emerald Hills (Pt. 1)
- Cuthbert Road to Cooper Street
- Lindisfarne Ave. to S. Park Drive, Keg & Kitchen
Sunday, Dec. 11—Emerald Hills & Westmont Heights
- Cooper Street to Maple Ave.
- Haddon Ave to Cooper River
- Coles Landing Rd.
Tuesday, Dec. 13— Park Ave. & 20th Century
- Cuthbert Road to Chestnut Ave.
- Speedline to Stokes Ave.
- W. Park Blvd. to Valley Drive
- Buckner Ave. to Crystal Lake Ave
Wednesday, Dec. 14—Westmont Ave. & Haddon Hills
- Chestnut Ave. to Evergreen Ave.
- Haddon Ave. to W. Park Blvd.
- Haddon Hills complex
Friday, Dec. 16—Haddonleigh Section
- Graisbury Ave. to Hopkins Road to Haddonfield border
Sunday, December 18
12 p.m. to 6 p.m.
The Niagara Fire Company traverses Merchantville in three units that operate simulaneously.
Friday, December 9
5:30 p.m. until completed
The Oaklyn Fire Department is changing things up this year, escorting Santa around town on a Friday night instead of a weekend morning. That’s the only change, however. As per usual, one Santa detail will travel along the path of the railroad tracks, from the intersection of the Black Horse Pike and Kendall Boulevard to Congress Avenue. A second unit will follow along the other side of the tracks, beginning in the area of Reading and Manheim Avenues, proceeding along the railroad tracks to Capitol Ave., and ending in the area of Bettlewood Avenue.
Sunday, December 11 through Friday, December 23
Sunday, Dec. 11 (daytime)
- Delaware Gardens
- East Pennsauken
- Iron Rock
- North Merchantville
Tuesday, Dec. 13 (evening)
- Admiral Park
Saturday, Dec. 19
- Collins Tract
- Pennsauken Estates
Saturday, Dec. 18 (daytime)
- Collins Tract
- Pennsauken Estates
- Chadwyck I-II-III
- Fairview Estates
Friday, Dec. 23
Call the Pennsauken Fire Department at (856) 665-0774 for more information.
PATCO Presents Santa’s Silver Sleigh
Saturday, December 10
On Saturday, December 10, PATCO’s Silver Sleigh will make three trips from its Lindenwold station, picking up passengers at all stops for westbound rides with Santa, elves, and holiday music.
Continue into Philadelphia and visit the Christmas Village at City Hall, or stop at your favorite South Jersey downtown and do some local shopping.
Trains run every 20 minutes throughout the day, but Santa’s Silver Sleigh departs at the following times/locations:
- Lindenwold – 9 a.m., 10:30 a.m. or 12 p.m.
- Ashland – 9:02 a.m., 10:32 a.m. or 12:02 p.m.
- Woodcrest – 9:03 a.m., 10:33 a.m. or 12:03 p.m.
- Haddonfield – 9:06 a.m., 10:36 a.m. or 12:06 p.m.
- Westmont – 9:08 a.m., 10:38 a.m. or 12:08 p.m.
- Collingswood – 9:10 a.m., 10:40 a.m. or 12:10 p.m.
- Ferry Avenue – 9:12 a.m., 11:42 a.m. or 12:12 p.m.
- Broadway – 9:15 a.m., 10:45 a.m. or 12:15 p.m.
- City Hall – 9:16 a.m., 10:46 a.m. or 12:16 p.m.
Regular fares apply for all customers five and older; children four and younger ride free. For more information, call 856-772-6968 or 856-772-6905.
Get more local news that matters. Check out NJ Pen on Facebook and Twitter, or click here to become a supporter.