Four people and a dog were displaced after the incident, which brought six local fire companies to the scene of a single-family home.
By Matt Skoufalos | January 18, 2018
Firefighters from six local companies responded to an early morning house fire in Collingswood, making “a great stop on a fast-moving fire,” borough fire chief Keith Davis said.
Emergency crews were summoned to the 600 block of Eldridge Avenue at 8:07 a.m. Thursday, and had the fire under control by 8:30 a.m.
Davis said companies arrived to heavy fire showing in the rear of the home, and extinguished the flames without injuries to civilians or firefighters. Three adults, a teenager, and their pet were evacuated safely and are in the care of the Red Cross, he said.
The fire was ruled accidental and unintentional; the chief said it was possibly caused by an electrical malfunction.
In addition to the Collingswood Fire Department, responding to the call were Pennsauken 1132 and Cascade 11, Westmont Ladder 15-1, Gloucester City Squad 51, Cherry Hill Ladder 1324, and Camden Rescue 1 and Camden County OEM bus, Davis said.
The chief also asked that borough residents make sure they have working smoke detectors on every level of their homes and a carbon monoxide detector by the bedroom.
For a free smoke detector, call the Collingswood Fire Department at 856-854-7447.
Get more local news that matters. Check out NJ Pen on Facebook and Twitter, or click here to become a supporter.